Thursday, September 3, 2015

First Week Teacher Tired

Is this a hashtag yet? Tell me you don't feel it, ladies?!

It's Thursday and I have been met with, dragged around, called for help, given advice, drawn on for inspiration, admired, envied, and many, many more things in just this one tiny week. In a word: chaos!!!!!

As I have mentioned a few times, my district has adopted a new reading program. I went to a training for it ALL DAY yesterday. As valuable as I'm sure that time was for some people...I happen to luckily been born with two eyes and a decent understanding of technology. Therefore, it was a 7-hour waste of my very valuable pre-students time. I came back today feeling like I had a million things to do and still spent hours in meetings, planned and impromptu!

What did I accomplish today?

1. Nametags are finally taped and numbered on desks. 

I always wait until late in the week so that if I get any new students I can fill them in to the lineup in alphabetical order. I hate to have a random "John Bencher" at number 26...it just irks my nerves. Doesn't really even matter in the end because we all know we're going to get some kid later in the year with a last name that starts with C anyway! #amiright?)

2. Book baskets are done

I was expecting a students of mine from a few years ago to come and help out today, but I got an email early in the morning not to count on it. I was bummed mostly because I couldn't see her, but just a TEENSY bit because I was looking forward to her extra set of hands!! #imtheworst! She was going to be in charge of cleaning my book baskets and cutting out name-tags for them and tying them on with string. Either way, I got it done and they look adorable. If I remember, I'll take a picture tomorrow for you and post it!

3. Math plans finished

I updated my plans from the first week last year to include the new Place Value Detective activities I bought during the TPT sale. If you want to check them out, they are by Mary over at Teaching with a Mountain View and can be viewed on TPT HERE. Technically, in my state, place value is not an official fifth grade strand, but it's so important for them to continue to develop their understanding of place value, since it is the BASIS for all math calculation pretty much.

4. Pre-assessments for 5th grade reading and SMART Goals organized

I don't know how many of you know about SMART Goals, but they are BIG in my district. They stand for Specific Measurable Achievable Realistic and  Timely. Do you write these? My school is currently acrredited with warning in reading. Because of this, our SMART Goals are going to be completely centered on reading, as is our 30 minute remediation block in the mornings. To have a remediation block the second week of school you need.......???? DATA of course. What better way to attain data than to give a pretest to students?! Naturally though, those pretests needed to be created. After our fifth grade meeting this afternoon where we analyzed last year's data and looked and fourth grade's data (to gauge where we're starting this year), we discovered that no one had a valid and reliable assessment to give us this data. I bit the bullet and made this my charge for the rest of the day, and I, "Got 'er done!"

____________

It was a productive day, and yet I still have so much to do. A teacher's work is never done. We'll see what Open House brings tomorrow! I'm getting excited!

Brianna

No comments:

Post a Comment